Monday, January 11, 2010

What I Learned

My publisher asked me to fill out a questionnaire to help their publicists promote my next book. This was the only question I had fun answering:

Q. PLEASE DISCUSS SEVERAL ARTISTS (NON-WRITERS) WHO YOU FEEL HAVE INFLUENCED YOUR OWN WORK, AND HOW THEY HAVE DONE SO.

A.

From photographer Walker Evans I learned about framing.

From punk poet Patti Smith I learned the importance of being earnest.

From Marvin Gaye I learned that anger can be beautiful.

From composer Tarik O’Regan I learned the shape of grace.

From photographer Roy Decarava I learned the elegance of contrast.

From jazz singer Patty Waters I learned the power of phrasing.

From basketball player Allen Iverson I learned how to weave.

From photographer Dorothea Lange I learned the angles.

From photographer Sally Mann I learned about the roots.

From singer Paul Robeson I learned the depths.

From comic book artist Alex Maleev I learned that texture can be tragic.

From photographer William Eggleston I learned that color bleeds.

From Tina Turner I learned what's shaking.

From TV creator Joss Whedon I learned that art is pulp.

From actress Emily Watson I learned that innocence is death.

From photographer Helen Levitt I learned that everything is code.

From country duo the Louvin Brothers I learned that Satan is real.

From Bruce Springsteen I learned that everything that dies someday comes back.